Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rolled Suagr Christmas Cookies

For as long as I can remember my mom has been making this rolled sugar cookie recipe for Christmas.  It has always been one of my favorite things about Christmas, in no small part due to the fact that we always enjoy them with family and friends, but they do represent themselves with their own merit as well.

When my new office co-workers decided to have a cookie exchange, these were the first thing I thought of.
Typically, my mom contents herself with simply frosting them with a sugar icing, but since I don't have 8 children demanding my time and attention, I decided to dress them up just a little bit. 

All in all, these are very simple to make, but you do have to plan ahead.  Most rolled sugar cookie recipes require you to refrigerate the dough over night, as mine did.  For me, the decorating wasn't planned so much as it was an opportunity to use the odds and ends I have around my kitchen.

The snowmen ended up being my favorite.  I used brown cake sprinkles for the eyes, mouth, and buttons and an orange pumpkin sprinkle for the noses (why yes, these were Halloween sprinkles...).  When I brought them to work, I noticed that they were not being eaten.  When I encouraged a friend to have one, she replied "Oh no, they are too pretty to eat".  Whether or not that was what was keeping people from eating them, my family had no such hold on their appetites.  I brought approximately 4 dozen cookies to my family Christmas party that weekend and they vanished in 4 hours.

While you can't really beat an old favorite, I would like to try these with butter cream frosting instead of sugar icing sometime.  I feel that I would have a much easier time decorating with the stiffer texture butter cream has.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment