Sunday, February 12, 2012

Guinness Bread

Oh man, I have so very much to update.  In the flurry of wedding preparations, I have definitely lacked the time to blog, but since baking is cathartic, I have been making time for that.  I will be posting several updates from the past few weeks- and then very soon I will post on my wedding cake!  Chris and I were married on 01-21-12 and I just received the cake photos!

So, here I will back up to the Christmas holidays.  Chris and I spent Christmas with my family, but a few weeks beforehand we spent some time with his parents down in Rochester, MN.  When we visited, I brought with a trial from my "100 Great Bread Recipes" bread bible. 

This particular loaf is made with Guinness.  I chose to make it in mini-loaf pans since we were traveling with them.  The bread was very heavy and had a salty, yeasty flavor.  I thought it was good with butter, and then we paired it with a spinach cream-cheese dip and it was excellent. 

As far as my bread baking experiences have gone, I feel this was the closest I've gotten to a store-bought bread texture.  It was dense, smooth, and almost spongy.  I've been trying to find a recipe that will have those qualities in a white or wheat bread with varying success. 

All in all, it was a good snacking bread that turned out great, but I probably will not be making it to be consumed on a regular basis.  There is no question that it contains a fair amount of beer, and not being a huge beer fan, that was a turn off for me.  That being said, nobody seemed to dislike it.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment