Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fondant covered cake bites (Petits fours glacés if you will)

Somewhere in the middle of starting a new job and planning a wedding, I decided it would be a good time to use the cake tops sitting in my freezer (to make room for the ones that would come from my wedding cake was the reasoning, I believe). I had left-over fondant from making the practice wedding cakes that I wanted to use as well.

I made the same cake-icing mixture that I discussed when I made cake pops, but instead of putting them on a stick, I rolled it out onto wax paper and used a shot class to cut out circles.

Using a cookie cutter, I cut the rolled fondant into larger circles and wrapped each cake bite individually.  Other than being a bit time consuming, it was a very easy process.  To wrap, I put each bite onto a flower nail, placed the fondant circle on top, and wrapped the edges under.

At that point, I figured I might as well make them pretty, so I whipped up some butter cream and made drop flowers.  If I did this again, I would probably use less icing in the cake mixture so that they weren't quite so sticky and squish-able.  In the end though, I was very happy with how they turned out.  They looked cute and tasted very good.  I will definitely be experimenting with these in the future.

-Beth

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I just want to cry at how cute some of this stuff turns out!

    ReplyDelete