Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wedding cake #2

This is a follow-up post to the sample cake I made for a friend.  She had a lovely outdoor wedding at the beginning of September and this was the final cake the traveled with me from Minneapolis, MN to Eau Claire, WI.

I brought the cake in two pieces and finished tier-ing and decorating at the hotel where we spent the night before the wedding.  It was so much easier to transport than I had anticipated, which was a very nice surprise.  Everyone seemed pleased with how it turned out.  I did find out from my friend that she had a similar cake cutting experience to my own- despite having more than enough cake, the facility cut pieces much smaller than specified to avoid running out.  She said they ended up with the entire sheet cake leftover.

For the most part, making this cake went very smoothly.  It was great to have enough room to spread out all of the decorating tools I needed and have ample space to move around- I love having a house!  The one near-panic moment I had occurred when I realized that my oven is JUST big enough to fit an 18x18 inch.  And by just, I mean I'm not sure my oven actually closed properly. In any case, it did fit, and it baked just fine.  After I got my technique down for smoothing the icing around corners, decorating was a breeze.

In the end a lot went into this cake- all told I ended up making 28 pounds of white buttercream icing, over 200 red buttercream flowers, and almost 40 pounds of cake.


2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful cake, Beth! I love the decorations and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never read this blog post! I'm glad the cake ended up fitting in your oven :), haha. Thanks again so much for doing this!! I got a lot of compliments on this cake!!

    ReplyDelete