Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Triple Chocolate Cake


I made this chocolate cake with whipped ganache filling and chocolate buttercream icing for my mom's birthday in June. 

I've made this cake before, with the exception being that last time I used a box cake recipe for the cake.  This time I used the White Almond Sour Cream Cake recipe that I always reference, with chocolate cake instead of the base white.

For the whipped ganache, I used a basic ganache recipe, chilled it well, and then whipped it until it was light and fluffy.  I've used this technique several times and it always turns out well.  It does mean that the cake needs to stay chilled though, just a caution against using it when you're not going to be able to keep it in the fridge.

I was really happy with how smooth I was able to get the icing this time.  Still not perfect, but it's encouraging to see improvement as I go along. I also enjoyed the opportunity to use up a few left over supplies- the flowers I used were from various previous projects and the pearls were leftover from my wedding cake.  Since this was made shortly before we moved from our apartment to a house, it was nice to find a purpose for a few things that likely would have been thrown out. 

There really wasn't much I would have changed about this cake.  I loved how the pearl effect turned out and with the improvements in my writing and smoothing abilities I was very happy with it appearance-wise.  Taste wise it was great- I'm not sure how you can go wrong with chocolate!






No comments:

Post a Comment