Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Blue Ribbon" Cupcakes

No blue ribbon awards here, just pretty blue ribbons on cupcakes.  I'm not sure why I was in the mood for cupcakes earlier this summer, but these came very shortly after my tie-dye cupcakes.  My aunt hosted a BBQ back in July and these were my contribution.

Using the same cake recipe and icing technique as before, I topped them with fondant ribbons and sugar crystals. 

The ribbons were very easy to make.  I rolled baby-blue fondant to 1/16th inch thick, cut very thin strips, and then wrapped small pieces around a thin dowel.  I put them on the cupcakes after letting them dry for a short time.

Overall I thought they turned out really well.  They looked super cute and I think they would have been great for a baby shower.  The only downside was that the fondant softened sitting on the icing, so you either had to be ok with gummy fondant or with picking the ribbons off before eating the cupcake.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment