Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sample Wedding Cake

One of my friends got married in September and I made her wedding cake.  In July I made her a sample cake so we could make sure we were on the same page. For the sample, I used a true buttercream on the bottom tier and a pure-white buttercream on the top tier. The ribbon around the tiers, vines, and leaves are all made from black fondant.  The roses are royal icing Wilton roses. Overall everything went together really well, but making a sample was definitely a good way to make sure we were on the same page idea-wise.
I did learn that no amount of mixing reds will create true red for me.  Several suggestions from my Wilton books and around the web suggest mixing "true red" and "Christmas red" gels in equal amounts, however I still ended up with something just shy of what I would call "red".  

Fortunately my friends was very happy with the sample, despite what I considered flaws in color, smoothing, and the way the fondant blended together and it was a great opportunity to practice new techniques.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment