Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Blueberry Pie with lattice crust



Right around the time the local farmers market started up, Chris and I decided to host a small dinner with a few family and friends.  Everything we made was deliciously fresh and local, including the berries for this pie.

This was new filling recipe to me (from my Betty Crocker wedding book) and paired with the standard pie crust I like best, it came together beautifully.  Before starting, I did a little research into lattice crusts.  I've used lattice crusts in the past, but it's been a very messy process and I end up getting pretty frustrated with torn strips of crust and layers sticking together before I'm done.

After watching a few Youtube videos it became apparent to me that I've been going about the process all wrong.  I had been starting from the center, placing the two longest strips first and building out from there.  It turns out it's easiest if you start from a "corner" and work your way across the pie adding two strips at a time in each direction.  It ended up being a much simpler process and it turned out great! 

Usually I have trouble with blueberry pie setting up, especially when I haven't used a lattice crust.  This one cut perfectly and held together.  We all enjoyed it very much with homemade whipped cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment