Thursday, January 31, 2013

Peach Cobbler

 This post really is about peach cobbler, but first let me introduce you to the reason for my 3 month absence from blogging!  My daughter Elaine Elizabeth was born 12-12-12 at 4:44am.  She weighed 9 lbs 2.5 oz and measured 21 inches long.  She is now almost two months old and changing each day! Although there may still be a delay in updates (and I have a TON of catching up to do), I hope to get posts out more regularly now that life has settled into a new routine.

Now, onto that peach cobbler!

First off, let me say this was a multi-step process with lots of opportunity for errors.  I used a dessert recipe book, otherwise I would post a link so you could follow along.

It starts with blanching peaches in order to peel them.  It's an easy enough concept- cook the fruit just long enough to soften the layer just under the skin- not a very easy task.  It's supposed to work best with ripe peaches, but the peaches I bought ripened at different paces, so some were really ripe and some where just barely there.  That being said, determining how long to boil the peaches was a lot of guess work.  Some were really easy to peel, some were too mushy in the end, and others were still hard.  In the end, it all worked out and I ended up with enough peaches for two pies.

The next step was the crust, which turned out well.  It's the same crust I use for everything, so no worries there.

The filling was an egg and cream custard that you had to scald.  I'm not sure I've ever purposely scalded anything before this, and I'm quite certain now that I need practice.  Regardless, I did what I thought I was supposed to do.

Putting it all together was simple, but baking was not.  The filling was supposed to set after 40 min.  After 60 min it was still liquid, but I took the pies out hoping they would set up as they cooled.  That was not the case at all. 

These pies looked and smelled amazing.  They even tasted pretty good.  If you don't mind slurping your pie with a soup spoon.  This was a very disappointing mis-adventure and I'm not sure what went wrong.  Next summer, when peaches are in season again, I'll be trying this recipe once more, as well as another version.  Better luck next time I guess.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment