Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Death by chocolate would probably come by way of a torte

I love baking tortes!  I have a recipe from joyofbaking.com that is absolutely fantastic.  I've been making this recipe for a few years now and it has never failed me. Typically I make a single layer torte and cover it with ganache and it looks like something straight from a high-end dessert shop.

For this one I added a few twists.  On a recent episode of "Cake Boss" (I hate to admit I watch this because it's so drama-ridden...) I noticed that the bakers often use a "filling" in their cakes and decided to give it a try.  I was also reading up on ganache and found out that it can be chilled and whipped, so I decided to try that too.

The result was a double-layered torte, separated by raspberry jam and whipped ganache, covered in ganache. Let me start off by saying that this is not a recipe for someone on a diet.  The essential ingredients in a torte are eggs, sugar, and chocolate, all three in large amounts.  Ganache consists of heavy cream, chocolate, and butter.  That being said, it is probably the most delicious thing I've ever tasted.
I trimmed both layers to match and spread raspberry jam on the bottom layer.  I pipped whipped ganache around the edge and then placed the top layer on.  After smoothing everything out, I did a crumb coat of ganache and let it chill for 15 minutes in the fridge.

After the final layer of ganache it looked fantastic. I brought it to Chris's work and used his co-workers as willing taste-testers.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it.  My only change for next time would be to use more raspberry, since it was hard to taste it in all the chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment