Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A pie for pie day (3/14)

This was my second try at a Mississippi Mud Pie.  The first time I went all out and purchased high quality chocolate for the filling and decoration, however that puts a pie at about $15, which seems pretty steep for something homemade.  Fortunately I didn't notice the difference when I used regular Hershey's chocolate chips.  My only complaint was for the topping.  My recipe book says to "soften the chocolate with your hands and create long curls by drawing a vegetable peeler across the edge".  When I used a higher quality chocolate the curls turned out fine- room for improvement in my technique, but definitely passable.  When I used a Hershey's bar it was just a mess.  The chocolate was way too soft even without trying to soften it and it kept breaking apart into the scored squares. 

 My crust pulled in again, which was frustrating because I was very careful not to stretch it.  For the design around the crust I used an apple corer/slicer to cut triangles out of the left over crust and pasted them on with water. I liked the effect, but it would have looked nicer flat as it should have been.

Overall I really like the recipe.  The crust was nice and flaky and I forced myself to let it chill long enough so it was easy to use too.  I'm not sure I really enjoy using shortening instead of butter, but in my limited experience, it does seem to be a better texture more consistently.
For anyone who is curious, I looked up the difference between a Mississippi Mud Pie and a French Silk Pie, since they both have a rich chocolate base covered by whipped cream and more chocolate.  Essentially, in a French Silk Pie, the chocolate layer is "lighter", more like mousse or whipped cream.  The chocolate layer in a Mississippi Mud Pie is dense like fudge.  In any case, I'm sure either would be enough to send a healthy person into a diabetic coma after more than just a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment