Wednesday, March 9, 2011

B-A-N-A-N-A-S! (Yep, I have to sing the song to spell it right).

I've never made a cream pie before.  Pumpkin and apple have been my standbys, but I decided to try something new a few days ago.


I like bananas, but I never seem to eat a whole bunch before I've got very ripe bananas on my hands.  Usually these go into banana bread, but variety is the spice of life so I tried a banana cream pie instead.  Something I really enjoyed about this recipe was the crust- ginger snap cookies instead of graham crackers.  I definitely like the texture better and I personally think it was much tastier.

Something I didn't enjoy about the recipe was the banana filling.  In the recipe I was given a few options- sour cream or yogurt and vanilla extract or rum.  I chose sour cream and vanilla since that's what I had on hand.  When I tasted the filling it was extremely sour.  I'm no expert on banana cream pies, but I added sugar (which was not called for in the recipe) and thought it was a little better.  In the end, I think I would choose yogurt next time just to see if I could get rid of the lingering "sour cream" taste in my mouth.

I took liberties with the whipped cream and bananas for the topping.  I pipped the cream on to add texture and sat the banana slice on end for fun.  I think it looked  a little classier than the suggested smooth whipped cream and rings of banana slices.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment