Monday, June 20, 2011

Rainbow Rice Crispies

Few things top a classic rice crispy bar in my mind when it comes to simple desserts.  I don't care much for rice crispys that have been jazzed up- no peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-with-banana for me please, just plain old rice crispy cereal in marshmallows thanks.  However, that doesn't mean they can't take on a twist. 

I'm sure you could dye your treats to whatever color you choose, but these came about when the urge to bake took me at a time when pretty much all I had available was half a box of cereal and a bag of pastel bunny-shaped marshmallows I had purchased after Easter (who could pass up a bag of marshmallows for 25¢?).  Originally I was going to simply mix them all together, but after envisioning a nasty brown color that I imagine the combination of purple, pink, yellow, and green would result in, I divided my recipe into fourths and separated the colors.  It ended up looking pretty neat, especially with some Nestle "toppers" (also on post-Easter sale for pennies). My younger siblings loved that they were different and the adults thought it was a cute twist.  Next time I'll try shapes.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment