Thursday, June 23, 2011

Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (for now)


This was really the first recipe that I can claim as my own.  I used a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe, probably off of a Nestle bag, and made enough changes where I can confidently say they are nothing like the original cookie. Here's the recipe:
  • 2.5 cups flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3 tsps vanilla
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup softened (room temperature) butter
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking power
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 Tbl corn syrup
  • Chocolate chips, M&M's, or other candy to taste (10-14oz)
Combine dry ingredients except for sugars and set aside.  Cream shortening, butter, and sugars until light and fluffy.  Gently beat in vanilla and eggs. With the mixer on medium-low, add dry ingredients until smooth.  Mix in your candy of choice by hand. Drop dough onto ungreased cookie sheet using a 1/2 Tbl as a guide for size.  Bake for 8 min at 350 degrees.  Cookies will appear slightly golden and will brown on the pan.  Let sit for 3 min before moving to a wire rack.

There are a few things about this recipe that I think make it special.  First, I added more flour and divided the fats between vegetable shortening and butter.  Theses changes help produce a cookie that has some substance to it, instead of being completely flat.  I've found that it also helps hold the candy in the cookie instead of letting it all sink to the bottom.  Next, I use about 2x the amount of vanilla as the original recipe, which gives it a very smooth flavor, and is supposed to make the inside softer. I also upped the ratio of brown sugar to white sugar and added corn syrup which I feel gives the cookie a chewy inside.  I'm not an expert on what all of the changes do in specific, but I do know that this is one good little cookie.



No comments:

Post a Comment