Friday, October 21, 2011

Italian Cheesecake

I don't know what "kind" of cheesecake our good old cream cheese cheesecake is considered, but I recently stumbled across a recipe for an "Italian" cheesecake

This particular recipe called for cream cheese and ricotta cheese. Honestly, I'd never tried ricotta cheese before a few weeks ago, but it's definitely different than anything I'd tried before that time.  The author claims that this particular combination makes the cheesecake "creamy and not thick". 

Since cheesecake is Chris's favorite and he once told me that the cheesecakes I make are not "fluffy" enough I decided to try it.  Clearly we both need to try more desserts as he describes cheesecakes in terms of "fluffiness" and I have little to compare things to.

First off, it struck me as strange that this cheesecake does not have a crust or bottom of any sort.  Next, it was frustrating that the recipe does not state what size pan to bake the cheese cake in.  That being said, it was hard to know when it was finished baking. 

In the end, it turned out pretty good.  It looked really nice and the suggested method of leaving it to cool in the oven for three hours worked well to keep it from cracking (I also baked it in a pan of water).  When I cut it, it was very moist- sticking to the knife and other parts of the cheesecake.   I'm not sure if it was under baked or if that's how it was supposed to be, but it tasted just fine.  It is definitely different from a plain cream cheese cheesecake, but very smooth and light.  I would like to try another Italian cheesecake just to compare and I definitely wouldn't mind sampling some dessert menus.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment