Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cake Pops!

Yay cake pops!  I actually made them into pops this time and everything.  This was also the last project I did at my old studio apartment so that's exciting too!

I used left over cake tops from the cakes I've made in the last two cake courses (and everything in between there).  It ended up being a ton of cake- way more than I anticipated....  So I ended up throwing a lot of it out unfortunately.  That being said, it was a nice selection of cake flavors.  I had almond pound cake, vanilla cake, chocolate cake, and red velvet. 

I used chocolate butter cream icing for the red velvet and chocolate cake and vanilla butter cream for the other flavors.  I also had a variety of candy coating.  The picture above shows chocolate and cherry, I also had vanilla but didn't have any completed at the end of the night (and I finished the rest in transit at Chris's apartment, not my best show of time management skills). 

The first few pops I made I used ribbon to tie off.  They definitely looked nice, but it was taking way too long so I switched to colored electrical tape instead.  In the end I learned a couple of things- first, never ever start a project the afternoon before you move; second, the bigger the pop, the bigger the probability the candy won't be enough to keep it on the stick; third, the ribbon looked nice and worked well, but the tape worked just as well and was a ton quicker; finally, using a foam floral arranging ring (from the dollar store) was a really handy way to allow the pops to set up.

To be honest, the cake pops weren't my favorite, but everyone else who tried them said they were great.  My soon-to-be brother-in-law was very disappointed that he was left only one to try by his parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment