Thursday, October 20, 2011

All About Strawberries

I made this cake for a special friend of mine's 50th birthday.  He loves strawberries so that was the theme for this cake, inside and out.  


I used a white almond cake recipe to make two 10'' cakes, torted them, and layered a strawberry puree in between the layers.  The butter cream icing is strawberry flavored as well.  I used an piping gel transfer to outline a strawberry on the cake and filled it in with more icing.  I happened to have some brown sprinkles on hand, so I used those for the strawberry seeds.  The strawberries on the side are gummy strawberries that I "glued" on with more butter cream.  

Overall, I was absolutely pleased with this cake.  The only hitch I ran into was that the strawberry flavoring was colored a very dark red.  The end result was a slightly pink tint to the frosting. I ended up using less than I would have liked because I didn't feel a bright pink cake was going to appropriate for non-feminine cake as sexist as that might sound.  I was unfortunately not able to be there to taste the cake or celebrate the birthday, but everyone told me it was excellent.  One of my co-workers swore to me it was "seriously the best cake [she's] ever tasted".

No comments:

Post a Comment