Friday, July 29, 2011

Roulade (or roll-a-log if you're Chris...)

I made a roulade not too long ago.  It was supposed to have a chestnut filling, but I didn't feel like spending the time or money trying to find chestnut puree so I improvised with what I had on hand. 

Making the roulade itself felt really similar to making a torte- lots of sugar, eggs, and chocolate and not a whole lot else.  I did not have the suggested pan to use, so I just used a baking sheet with deeper sides and that seemed to work.  What I ended up with was what resembled a shallow sheet cake.  I made a filling out of whipping cream, peppermint extract, and a little bit of powdered sugar and cocoa powder.

Rolling the roulade was pretty easy, but I would have liked to let the cake part set for overnight like suggested, since it was really soft.  I didn't end up rolling it as tightly as I would have liked because of that, but it still tasted great.  I sent it to work with a friend of mine who works in a nursing unit and she said everyone liked it there too.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment