Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Filled Cookie Bites

 I'm not sure what I was thinking the day I tried these, but in lieu of making cookies I decided to cookie bites in a mini muffin pan.  And in lieu of just cookie bites, I decided to try "filling" them with caramel, chocolate, or peanut butter.

It's not a difficult idea to conceive- and I certainly didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  I started by putting a layer of cookie dough in the bottom of each cup and making a well to hold the filling of choice.  After adding the filling I put another layer of cookie dough on top and smoothed it out.

I baked the cookies (I used my recipe that I posted a while ago) at 350 until they were golden brown. When I took them out, they looked great.  After 3 minutes out of the oven, they were sadly caved in and significantly less attractive.  That being said, they tasted great.  The caramel ones were a huge headache to make (the caramel was hard to cover with the top layer of cookie dough) and there were a struggle to get out of the pan, but they were the only ones that didn't cave in completely. 

If I make these again, I would try the following changes: 1) I would use caramel candy instead of caramel topping, 2) I would roll the bites in my hands before pressing into the cups to make sure all of the air was out of the center with the filling, 3) I'll probably add 1/2 cup of flour to the dough to make sure it can support it's own weight, and 4) I'll bake at 325 and for slightly longer to give the whole bite time to bake without burning.

 Everyone who tried them loved how they tasted, but the visual appeal just wasn't there.  When I made brownie bites a quick fix for sunken tops was to fill it in with ganache, but I'm hesitant to frost a chocolate chip cookie.  When I searched for solutions online, every recipe I found for cookie bites involved putting different "fillings" on top, not inside the cookie.  Here's to experimentation in the future then.

-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment