Saturday, September 17, 2011

Wilton Gum paste and Fondant Class

Unfortunately I was not great at taking pictures of everything we learned to do in this class.  I learned to make roses, carnations, and mums.  I think I used both the roses and carnations on the orange birthday cake I made but we never really came back to those. 

On the last day of class we covered a cake in fondant.  I made an almond cake with strawberry filling again.  Since the class was just a few days before all the teachers came back to school where I'm serving I decided to make a "Welcome Back" cake.  I used mums because they are season (and they were the least time consuming of all the flowers). 

I loved how the fondant looked!  I was seriously doubting that I would want to use fondant for my wedding cake, but I'm now reconsidering.  It will take a few more trials to know for sure, but as of now I can definitely see the advantages.  I also cut strips of brown fondant to make stripes along the side and then twisted two ropes of green for a boarder.  The cake is on a cake board covered with marbled fondant.  Even if I do end up going with buttercream on my wedding cake, I will most likely be using this technique for my cake board because it looked really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment