Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Twist on a Blueberry Pie

For some reason Cub had blueberries on sale in March, so I can only assume they were in season somewhere in the world, despite the fact winter had yet to release its grip on Minnesota.  I bought two small cartons with the intent of making a blueberry pie.  After reading through several recipes, it was clear that 12oz of blueberries wasn't nearly enough.  I'm as stubborn as I am impatient, so I set out to make due with what I had.  I started with this recipe  and made a few initial changes based on my proportions and some of the comments on the website.  I had about 2.5 cups of blueberries instead of 4, so I cut the other ingredients in half.  I also added lemon juice and upped the amount of cornstarch as suggested by other users.

Instead of making a 9 inch pie, I decided to use a muffin-pan to make mini pies since I didn't have enough blueberries.  I used a larger and smaller size drinking glass to cut out the top and bottom crusts of the pie.  For the lattice crust I used a pizza cutter to cut the top crust circle into 5 pieces.  I used an egg wash to help the top stick to the bottom and each other.  I also adjusted the baking time to about 30 min.

The resulting pies were great!  They were the perfect size for one person and it was easier to transport them than a pie would have been.

The one thing I would definitely change for next time would be to fill the crusts with less filling.  As they baked a lot of the filling bubbled through the top crust.  Not only did it not look as nice as it could have, it also made it difficult to get the pies out of the pans.  I didn't spray the pans since crust usually has enough fat in it to keep from sticking, so it was especially difficult. I might consider adding more sugar if I ever made a full size pie because they came out pretty tart.  That being said, I enjoyed the tartness in contrast to the sweet crust I used. 


I would definitely make this again.  The idea of bringing something like this to a picnic is much more appealing to me than bringing a pie (and a knife, and a serving spatula, and extra plates).  Plus, like the pumpkin pies I made, sometimes cuteness is just necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment